- 150 g young spinach leaves
- 200 g Lentils
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 8 medium Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 750g potatoes, peeled
- 2 large Eggplants
- 50g butter
- 50 g flour
- 500 ml milk
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 50 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons oil
1. Boil spinach for one minute, drain and reserve the liquid.
3. Cover and cook over a medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
6. Cook until juicy and darkened in colour.
7. Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook briskly for 5 minutes until thickened but still quite liquid.
9. Simmer gently for a few minutes.
10. Squeeze all the liquid out of the spinach and stir it into the pan.
11. Add a little water if the stew seems too dry.
13. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F or 200 degrees C.
14. Trim the Eggplant and slice lengthways about 1/2 cm thick.
15. Smear a baking sheet with remaining oil, lay out the slices.
16. Bake for 15 minutes, turn and cook the other side for a further 5 minutes until soft.
17. Reduce the temperature to 360 F or 180 degrees C.
18. Take a 2-litre capacity dish at least 5 cm deep and make a layer with half the potatoes, then half the Eggplant, followed by the Mushroom mixture, the rest of the Eggplant and the rest of the potatoes.
20. Simmer for a few minutes, add the parmesan and the ricotta mixed with the egg.
21. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust the seasoning.
22. Pour the sauce over the moussaka and dust with nutmeg.
23. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is set and golden.