A vegetarian sandwich will be a great change of pace from a traditional sandwich. Salsa and sour cream work for this, too, while it is great for side dishes or appetizers and keeps a relaxed taste with the bread and vegetables similar to the original hero sandwich.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup guacamole
- 4 hoagie buns or sandwich buns, split
- 8 slices (¾-ounce each) deli Land o' Lakes® Monterey jack and American cheeses, cut in half diagonally
- 16 thin slices cucumber
- 8 thin red bell pepper rings
- 8 thin slices large tomato
- coarsely ground pepper
- salsa, optional
- sour cream, optional
- Spread the guacamole on the cut-sides of buns.
- To assemble each sandwich, layer bottom half of each bun with 2 halves monterey jack cheese, 4 slices cucumber, 2 pepper rings, 2 halves American cheese and 2 slices tomato; sprinkle with pepper.
- Top each with remaining bun half.
- Secure with toothpick. Serve plain or with any appetizer or side dish but top with the salsa and/or sour cream, if desired.
Nutritional Information Edit
- Calories 340 | Protein 13g | Carbohydrate 31g | Fat 19g | Cholesterol 40mg | Sodium 820mg | Fiber 0g