Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Yields: 2 quarts
- 3 cups mushrooms (any variety)
- 1 fennel bulb, stalks and leaves only (reserve the bulb for another use)
- 5 celery stalks
- 4 medium to large carrots
- 2 large onions
- ¼ head of green cabbage
- ½ large rutabaga, peeled
- 5 leeks, cut in half lengthwise and washed
- 1 small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley (about 15 sprigs)
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise to expose the cloves
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 6 whole white peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 – 8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Slice the mushrooms, fennel stalks, celery, carrots, onions, and cabbage thin and place in an 8-quart stockpot.
- Cut the rutabaga into large chunks and place in the stockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- As the stock approaches a boil, skim any impurities that rise to the top with a ladle.
- Lower the heat and simmer gently for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Ladle through a fine stainer, cool, and refrigerate.
- The stock will keep for 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator, or freeze in 1-cup batches.