Makes 6 servings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 2 x 14½-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add onions; sauté about 5 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add carrot and celery; saute about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- To serve, ladle soup in bowls; top each serving with ½ cup rice.