Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Vegetable Rice Pilaf from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1 x 14½ oz can of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup dry lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1½ cups zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- ½ small eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, combine broth, onion, lentils, rice, water and lemon zest. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and/or squash and carrot and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, cook eggplant and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until eggplant is soft (about 8–10 minutes.)
- Remove lentil mixture from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in eggplant mixture, tomatoes and basil.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese as desired.