Updated old family favorite - Alice in Houston via A.Broaddus
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lbs okra, sliced, fresh, frozen
- 1 lbs tomatoes, fresh, or canned
- 2 cup corn, fresh, frozen, canned
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon granules
- ½ cup white grape juice
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp Tabasco sauce
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp basil or rosemary, minced
- vegetable coating spray
- Method: in a large heavy stew pot, place bouillon and ½ cup white grape juice, onion, green pepper, celery garlic, cook until tender, 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add other ingredients, cook over low heat, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking to bottom.
- Cover and simmer gently until corn and okra are done (or simmer in crockpot 6 – 7 hours) Note: cut fresh corn from cob with a sharp knife, then scrape the remaining corn off the cob.
- Four ears will make about two cups.
- If you use dried herbs, rub them with the palms of your hands before adding to the pot, this releases their aroma and goodness.
Nutritional information Edit
Exchanges: 1 veg, 1 bread, and 107 calories.