Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Vegetable Biryani from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time:
- Serves: 4
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- ¼ cup lowfat milk
- Lowfat cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup cauliflower flowerets, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cups water
- Place Basmati rice in a large bowl then cover with water and soak for 30 minutes then drain.
- In a small bowl, combine saffron and milk and set aside.
- Spray a large saucepan with lowfat cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds and cloves and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chopped vegetables and stirfry for 4–5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stirfry for 1 minute.
- Stir in the water and garam masala.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Drizzle with the saffron milk then serve.