Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Vegetable Barley Soup from the Public Health Cookbook -- original recipe, taken from government resource in the public domain
- Serves: 8
- 1½ cups quick-cooking barley
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ quarts low-sodium, low-fat chicken stock
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable juice
- 4 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- a dollop of non-fat sour cream(optional)
- In a large saucepan, add the barley, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, chicken stock, vegetable juice and basil. Raise heat until mixture starts to boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables become tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then serve in bowls topped with a dollop of sour cream (optional).