Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup regular barley
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, snipped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted , sliced
- 1 medium sized red or green cabbage
1.Bring water to boil in a large saucepan. Add barley then reduce heat and simmer for 50 minutes or until barley is tender, covered. 2.Stir in corn to barley during last 10 minutes of simmering. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. 3.In an airtight container, make the dressing by adding the oil, mustard, oregano, garlic, salt and black pepper. Seal tightly then shake until combined. 4.In a large serving bowl, add barley and corn mixture. Stir in red bell pepper and olives. Pour dressing over mixture then gently toss to coat evenly. 5.Carefully peel off 6 cabbage layers forming individual bowls. Fill each cabbage leaf with an equal amount of the barley mixture then serve on salad plates.
- Vegetable Barley Salad in Cabbage Cups from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health, government resource in the public domain