This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Gingham Estate in Fort Worth, Texas in 1992.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2¾ cups water
- ½ cup dried lentils
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- ¼ cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- 1⅓ cups barbecue sauce
- In medium saucepan combine water and lentils then bring to boil and reduce heat to medium low then cover and cook 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, onion, Italian seasoning and salt and mix well then return to a boil and reduce heat to medium low then cover and cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally then remove saucepan from heat uncover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir breadcrumbs, eggs and 2tablespoons of the barbecue sauce into lentil mixture mashing slightly while mixing.
- With wet hands shape into 36 balls.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray then heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add veggie balls and cook 8 minutes turning frequently with 2 spoons.
- Reduce heat to medium then pour remaining barbecue sauce over veggie balls and cook 5 minutes stirring frequently.