Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 6 servings
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- 1½ cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ pound ground turkey breast
- ¾ pound lean ground round
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup rolled quick-cooking oats
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine carrots, mushrooms and zucchini in small saucepan.
- Stir in ½ cup tomato juice and ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until most of juice has cooked away (watch carefully so it doesn't cook dry or scorch).
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Spray a broiler pan with nonstick spray coating.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine ground meats, ½ cup tomato juice, onion, oats, egg whites, Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; stir well.
- Spoon meat mixture onto a sheet of wax paper and press lightly into a 9-inch-by-10-inch rectangle.
- Spoon vegetable mixture over meat.
- Use wax paper to gently roll meat, jellyroll fashion, forming a loaf about 10 inches by 4 inches.
- Transfer to prepared pan and place loaf seam side down.
- Bake at 375 degrees 50 minutes.
- Cook remaining ½ cup tomato juice in small, uncovered saucepan 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Brush tomato-juice mixture over meatloaf.
- Continue baking meatloaf about 10 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 165°F and meat is no longer pink inside.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories 248 | Fat 13 g | Carbs 10 g | Sodium 177 mg | Fiber 2 g