Vanilla crescent cookies
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- 3 (9 g) packets vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ lb cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Combine flour, ¾ cup of the confectioners' sugar, almonds, 2 of the vanilla sugar packets, and salt on a clean surface, shape into a mound, then make a well in the center.
- Add butter and lemon extract to well.
- Using your fingers, work flour-nut mixture into butter until dough resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle milk over dough, knead until smooth, and shape into a ball.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift remaining confectioners' sugar and vanilla sugar into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces.
- Using your hands, roll each piece of dough out on a clean surface into ¾ inch thick ropes.
- Cut ropes crosswise into 2½ inch pieces, then gently pinch ends to round off edges.
- Shape pieces of dough into small crescents and transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until golden around edges, 12 – 14 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute then transfer a few at a time to bowl of sugar and coat well.
- Transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- Cookies may be stored in airtight containers for up to 1 week.