Vanilla crescent cookies from Austria
- 60 g finely shredded almonds (about 2 ounces)
- 100 g cold butter (about 3.5 ounces)
- 40 g powdered sugar (about 1.5 ounces)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 vanilla beans (cut each bean in half and scrape seeds out)
- 135 g all-purpose flour (about 5 ounces)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Slightly toast the almonds in an ungreased pan, then take them off the heat and let cool.
- Knead the butter, powdered sugar, egg yolk, vanilla (about half the seeds), flour, almonds and salt quickly to a dough.
- Chill the dough for two hours.
- Then take the dough out of the refrigerator, form little crescents of it and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 200°C (400°F) for about 10 minutes.
- Take them off the sheet and roll them in a mixture of 100 – 150 g (about 4 – 5 ounces) powdered sugar and vanilla (remaining seeds), while they are still hot.