- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups ground unblanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- confectioners' Sugar
- cream the butter and Sugar together by beating them against the sides of a bowl with a wooden spoon (or with electric mixer at medium speed) until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the flour 1/2 cup at a time, then add the almonds, vanilla extract and salt, continuing to beat until the mixture becomes a slightly stiff dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in wax paper and refrigiate it for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree.
- Lightly butter two 12" by 15" baking sheets.
- Pinch off walnut sized pieces of the chilled dough and place them on a floured board; roll each one into a strip an inch wide and 1/2 inch thick.
- This will make it about 2-1/2 inches long.
- Shape each piece into a crescent by pulling it into a semi-circle. Arrange the crescents at least 1/2 inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 15– 20 minutes, remove and leave to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cake rack.
- Dust with confectioners' Sugar.
- Many people prefer"vanilkove rohlicky" a few days old.