Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Rinse the duckling inside and out, removing the neck, heart, gizzard and liver.
- Place the innards in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Season the duckling with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Place onion pieces into the duck cavity.
- Squeeze juice of the orange over the duckling, then put rinds into duck cavity.
- With a thin knife, cut a slit on each side of the breast and in each leg/thigh and insert the vanilla bean halves.
- Put duckling on top of innards in roasting pan.
- Roast duckling for 15 minutes in a 500°F.
- Oven, then lower oven to 350°F and roast until a thermometer inserted into the duckling registers 165°F.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard onion and orange rinds.
- Using a cleaver, remove the back bone by standing the roasted duck on its neck end and cutting down each side of the back bone.
- Remove the rib cage and hip bones by slipping your finger tips around them, then lifting up and twisting the bones off the meat.
- The wing and leg bones remain.
- Set innards aside and defat the roasting pan, then deglaze pan with the duck or chicken stock.
- Bring stock to a boil, adding bones and innards and reduce stock to 1 cup.
- Remove the two half beans from the legs of the duckling and add to the cup of reduced stock, then reduce again to ½ cup.
- Reheat the two duck halves in a 400°F.
- Oven for 12 minutes until hot and the skin is crisp.
- Place on two hot serving plates with the breast halves still pierced with the vanilla bean halves.
- Ladle the hot sauce (with the vanilla bean pieces) over the duck breasts.