Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sugar
- red food coloring
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- Cut a heart pattern from a 4½ inch square of paper.
- Cover baking sheet with brown paper. (You can bake on the brown paper so make sure it is clean. Grocery store bags without writing on them are okay.)
- Draw 6 hearts on the brown paper using your pattern as a guide.
- Beat egg whites with vanilla, cream of tartar and salt until frothy.
- Add sugar, a little at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Rub a bit between your figures to feel that no sugar remains undissolved.
- Add food coloring, a few drops to make a delicate pink color.
- Spread meringue over the heart shapes, ¼ inch thick.
- Make into the heart shape using a spoon to push and form into correct shape.
- Pipe rim ¾ inch high with pastry tube.
- Bake in preheated 275 °F oven for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven and let meringues dry in oven for 1 more hour. Do Not open oven door during this time.
- Fill the cooled meringues with scoops of ice cream and top with strawberries.
- Decorate with mint leaves if desired.