Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sweet walnut fritters
- 6 ounces of walnuts, pulverized in a blender or ground in a nut grinder
- 1½ tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ tablespoons of sugar
- 1½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup of lukewarm water (110°F to 115°F)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1½ tablespoons of unsalted butter
- vegetable oil for deep fat-drying
- powdered confectioner's sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together walnuts, 1½ tablespoons of butter and sugar.
- Set aside at room temperature.
- Place the flour in a deep mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Pour in the water, salt and 2 tablespoons of butter and slowly stir in the flour in the other ingredients until well absorbed.
- Then beat vigorously with a large spoon until firm dough is formed.
- Gather the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll it into a rectangle approximately l1 inches wide by 18 inches long.
- Brush the dough with the additional 2 tablespoons of butter and fold it into quarters.
- Roll it out again as thinly as possible and with a pastry wheel or small, sharp knife, trim the dough into a rectangle 16 inches wide by 18 inches long.
- Cut the rectangle into 2- inch squares.
- Heap 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of a square of dough and draw up the four corners to meet in the middle, thus enclosing the filling.
- Dip your fingers in water and pinch the corners firmly together to seal them.
- Fill and seal the remaining squares similarly.
- Fill a deep-fat fryer or deep, heavy pot with enough oil to come 4 inches up the sides of the pan and heat until the oil registers 375°F.
- On a deep-fat thermometer.
- Drop in 10 to 12 fritters, turning them about occasionally with a slotted spoon, fry them for about 3 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Then drain them on paper towels while you fry the rest of the fritters similarly.
- Arrange the fritters on a serving platter, sprinkle them with the powdered sugar and serve.