Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
What is Steaming?
Steaming is a method of cooking using steam. Steaming is considered a healthy cooking technique and capable of cooking almost all kinds of food.
Steaming works by boiling water continuously, causing it to vaporize into steam; the steam then carries heat to the nearby food, thus cooking the food. The food is kept separate from the boiling water but has direct contact with the steam, resulting in a moist texture to the food.
How do you steam?
- Get a collander or a steamer and a large pot or wok
- Fit the collander over the pot and make sure it fits in without touching the base of the pot
- Fill the pot with a few inches of water, making sure not to have the water touch the base of the collander
- Boil the water
- Add the vegetables or meat to the collander
- Put a loosely fitting lid over the pot so the steam builds (but can still escape)
- You can also steam in the microwave by putting vegetables, lightly rinsed in water, in a contained covered with plastic (pop a little hole for steam to escape)
Tips & Tricks
- Place ingredients in the collander only when the water starts to boil
- Keep the steamer or collander one inch above the water
- Keep the lid on for a few moments after turning off the heat
- Cut vegetables into similar sized pieces for even steaming
- Don't crowd the steamer for even steaming
Steaming vegetables is the healthiest method of cooking them. It's a fast and easy way to have a great side dish with your meal.
You can technically steam anything- fish in particular is a great option because steaming lets the fish stay really moist. You can still steam other meats, like chicken and beef.
Don't think that steaming is only for savory foods- you can steam cakes, fruit, puddings, and more in a steamer!