Serving Size : 4
- 6 tb vegetable oil
- 1 pn asafetida
- 1/2 ts Whole black mustard seeds
- 1 Whole dried hot red pepper
- 1 t chana dal
- 2 ts urad dal
- 1/2 md Onion -- peeled and minced
- 1 c Finely shredded cabbage -- firmly packed
- 1 sm Potato -- peeled—cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tb Shelled Peas
- 1 Fresh hot green chile -- minced
- 1/2 ts Finely grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 ts salt
- 1 c cream of Wheat -- (15 minute variety)
- 1 1/4 c Boiling water
- 1 tb Finely minced cilantro
- Pour the oil into a medium or large skillet set over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the asafetida, mustard seeds, red pepper, chana dal, and urad dal.
- When dals turn reddish in color, add to the pan the Onion, cabbage, Potato, Peas, green chile, and ginger.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook the mixture, stirring all the while, for about 2 minutes.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to low, and simmer until vegetables done, about 5–6 minutes.
- Uncover and mix in salt. Increase heat to medium and add cream of Wheat.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring the mixture and being careful not to let the cream of Wheat brown. Decrease heat to low.
- Add boiling water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, stirring after each addition and allowing water to be absorbed before adding more. (More water may be used if a moister uppama is desired.)
- Continue stirring and cooking over low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with minced cilantro for serving.