Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- October 2006
- Makes 2 Servings.
- 1 pack butter
- 4 slices Country White sourdough bread, cut on deep diagonal into ⅓-inch-thick slices (each about 7 x 3-½ inches)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 8 (¼-inch-thick) slices cheese (Colby, Colby-Jack Cheddar, Swiss, Mozzarella, or Asiago)
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (⅓-inch-thick) slices heirloom tomato
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- Place 2 bread slices, buttered side down, on the work surface.
- Top each with 2 prosciutto slices, then 4 basil leaves, then 4 cheese slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and crushed red pepper.
- Top with remaining 2 bread slices, buttered side up.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy, large, ovenproof skillet over moderate-high heat.
- Add sandwiches to a skillet and cook until golden on bottom, about 4 minutes.
- Turn sandwiches over; transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until golden and cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Carefully lift off top bread slices from sandwiches and insert 3 tomato slices into each, then cover with bread tops and serve.