Ugali is a compact cooked mixture of water and corn (Maize meal) served for lunch or dinner across East Africa.
- Boil the water with the salt added in a saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, stir the milk into the white cornmeal.
- Keep stirring until it is smooth.
- Then slowly pour the cornmeal mixture into the boiling salted water.
- Stir this mixture constantly for a couple of minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Turn the heat on the stove to low and continue to cook the ugali for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Stir it every couple of minutes.
- Keep cooking and stirring until the ugali is very stiff and thick and pulls away from the sides of the saucepan.