U Ponnya's Nwa mee Hinga (Burmese Oxtail and Watercress Soup) has an unconventional flavor due to the combination of oxtail and watercress.
- Serves 4 people.
- 1 lb oxtail, divided into sections
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ bunch watercress, divided into stems
- Broil oxtail for 15 minutes or until it is slightly charred.
- Put all ingredients except the watercress in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the pan and allow to cook over low heat for 1 hour or until the meat becomes tender.
- Add watercress and cook for 3–5 minutes more.