- 2 tbsp margarine
- ½ lbs fresh or frozen okra 1" pieces
- 2 cup chopped celery
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz can tomato paste
- 4 ripe tomatoes peeled or 16 oz can peeled tomatoes
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup chopped cooked turkey
- ¾ tsp gumbo filé powder
- cooked rice
- Melt the margarine in a large skillet. Add the okra. Sauté until the okra loses its shiny appearance, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the okra pieces to a bowl.
- Add the celery onion, green pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until the onion is transparent.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, water, okra mixture, and turkey. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until turkey is hot.
- Add the file powder. Stir to blend.
- Spoon over the rice in soup bowls.
Nutritional information Edit
Per ¼ recipe:
- 255 calories | 19g carbohydrate | 25g protein | 10g fat | 176mg sodium | 1102mg potassium | 54mg cholesterol
- Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean meat | 1 bread | 1 vegetable