Tunisian carrot salad
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbs white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook carrots in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain well. Stir oil, cumin and Cayenne in heavy large skillet over medium heat until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add carrots, then 1/2 cup water and vinegar.
- Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Cool. Mix in cilantro.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)