Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Potato Appetizer for 12 servings
- 2 russet potatoes - (1 lb total) peeled, and cut into 1" chunks
- 1 Onion - (6 oz) peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoon minced Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon drained capers rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 egg separated
- 12 egg roll wrappers - (6" square)
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring potatoes and 2 quarts water to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes mash easily, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl; mash with a Potato masher until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir Onion and garlic in oil until Onion is very limp, about 10 minutes (if Onion begins to brown, reduce heat to medium-low). Stir into potatoes, along with parsley, cilantro, capers, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk to blend; add to Potato mixture and mix well.
- In another small bowl, beat egg white to blend. Cut each egg roll wrapper into four squares (keep covered with plastic wrap until ready to use). Place about 1 1/2 teaspoons Potato mixture in the center of each square. Brush edges lightly with egg white. Fold each square diagonally over filling to form a triangle; pinch edges to seal.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat (or use a deep-fryer and follow manufacturer's recommendation for depth of oil). When oil reaches 375 degrees, using a slotted spoon or a mesh basket and working in batches of 6 to 12 (pastries should fit easily in one layer), lower pastries into oil. Fry until golden brown, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to paper towelulined 10- by 15-inch baking sheets in a 200 degrees oven and keep warm up to 30 minutes. Allow oil to return to 375 degrees between batches.
- This recipe yields 4 dozen turnovers; 12 to 16 appetizer servings.