Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tunisian Fish-and-Vegetable Stew
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 3/4 pound boiling potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the Onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the Onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, red-pepper flakes, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the turnip, zucchini, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer for 10 minutes longer. Add the cod, bring back to a simmer, and cook until just done, about 3 minutes. Serve the stew topped with the parsley.
- Any relatively firm, white-fleshed will work well. Try rockfish, Grouper, or for a special treat, Halibut. Be sure to remove the skin before adding the to the pot.
- Recipe reprinted by permission of Food and Wine. All rights reserved.