Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tunisian Chickpeas with Silverbeet
- 2/3 cup dried Chickpeas soaked in cold water overnight
- 1 bunch silverbeet, washed and stems discarded
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon 'no added salt' tomato paste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Half fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to the boil and add the drained Chickpeas, reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid.
Roughly chop the silverbeet leaves into large pieces, and steam for 1–2 minutes or until tender. Allow the cooked silverbeet to cool a little and then squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine garlic, ground coriander, turmeric, cumin and chilli paste in a small bowl until a smooth thick paste forms. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add Onion and cook over medium heat until pale golden. Add the garlic and chilli paste and the tomato paste and cook stirring frequently for 1 minute. Add the silverbeet, cooked Chickpeas, lemon juice and the reserved cooking water and cook for about 7–10 minutes stirring occasionally - avoid letting the mixture get too wet and soupy.
- Serve with steamed rice as a main meal or as an accompanying vegetable side dish.