Tunisian Chickpeas with Silverbeet
- 2/3 cup dried Chickpeas soaked in cold water overnight
- 1 bunch silverbeet, washed and stems discarded
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon 'no added salt' tomato paste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Half fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to the boil and add the drained Chickpeas, reduce heat and simmer for about 40 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid.
Roughly chop the silverbeet leaves into large pieces, and steam for 1–2 minutes or until tender. Allow the cooked silverbeet to cool a little and then squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine garlic, ground coriander, turmeric, cumin and chilli paste in a small bowl until a smooth thick paste forms. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add Onion and cook over medium heat until pale golden. Add the garlic and chilli paste and the tomato paste and cook stirring frequently for 1 minute. Add the silverbeet, cooked Chickpeas, lemon juice and the reserved cooking water and cook for about 7–10 minutes stirring occasionally - avoid letting the mixture get too wet and soupy.
- Serve with steamed rice as a main meal or as an accompanying vegetable side dish.