Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
- 1½ pounds fresh tuna steak
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, minced or grated
- 3 tablespoons tamari dark soy sauce
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil -- eyeball the amount
- 2 teaspoons grill seasoning blend (recommened: Montreal steak seasoning by McCormick) or 1 teaspoon black pepper and ½ teaspoon coarse salt -- eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon light-in-color oil, such as canola, safflower or peanut oil
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- coarse salt
- 4 sesame kaiser rolls, split
- 1 jar, 8 ounces, mango chutney
- 4 leaves red leaf lettuce
- 1 jar, 8 ounces, wasabi mustard (recommended: Stonewall Kitchen brand) -- Asian sweet-hot mustard, available on the condiment aisle as well as in Asian foods section of larger markets, may be substituted
- exotic root vegetable chips (recommended: Terra brand), to pass at table, optional
- pickled ginger, optional plate garnish
- Preheat a nonstick griddle or a grill pan to high heat.
- Cube tuna into bite size pieces and place in a food processor.
- Pulse the processor to coarse-grind the tuna; it should take on the consistency of ground beef or turkey.
- Transfer tuna to a bowl.
- Combine ground tuna with garlic, ginger, dark soy sauce, scallions, red bell pepper, sesame oil, seasoning blend and black pepper.
- Form 4 large patties, 1½ inches thick.
- Drizzle patties on both sides with light-in-color oil, such as canola, safflower or peanut oil.
- Cook tuna burgers 3 minutes on each side for rare, up to 6 minutes each side for well done.
- Preheat broiler.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over high heat, saute fresh shiitakes for 2 or 3 minutes in 1 tablespoon light oil -- 1 turn of the pan in a slow stream.
- Season mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Open up the rolls and lightly toast them under the broiler.
- Spread mango chutney on the bottom of each bun.
- Top with tuna burger, shiitakes, red leaf lettuce.
- Spread wasabi mustard or sweet hot mustard on bun tops and set them in place.
- Serve with exotic chips and pickled ginger, if desired.