Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 4 x 12 to 16-ounce Cornish hens, thawed
- 1 x 8-ounce can pineapple tidbits, packed in juice
- 1 x 12-ounce jar red pepper jelly*
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- ¾ cup currants
- ¾ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger
- Remove giblet packet from Cornish hens; rinse hens with cool water. Drain; set aside.
- Drain pineapple well reserving juice. Place juice in small saucepan with jelly. Heat over low heat until jelly melts, stirring occasionally.
- Cook onion in butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add rice, reserved pineapple, currants, nuts, broth and ginger; heat thoroughly.
- Spoon about ⅔ cup mixture into cavity of each hen. Use wooden picks, soaked in water, to enclose filling.
- Place hens breast side up in roasting pan on rack coated with cooking spray.
- Baste with jelly mixture.
- Roast at 400°F for 10 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350°F continue roasting 1 hour or until internal temperature registers 180°F to 185°F, basting every 30 minutes with jelly mixture.
- Cover remaining stuffing and bake during last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Cut hens in half and serve with remaining rice.