Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 16 servings
- 3⅓ cups cake flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cups unsalted butter
- 3⅓ cups light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled slightly
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2¾ cups milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pound box confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 3 round cake pans.
- Line 4 standard cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in bowl.
- Beat together butter and brown sugar in bowl until combined.
- Then increase speed and beat until creamy.
- Add eggs, beat well.
- Beat in chocolate.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk to egg mixture, beat well.
- Beat in boiling water and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour 3⅔ cups batter into each cake pan.
- Divide remaining batter among cupcake cups.
- Bake 20 minutes for cupcakes and 35 minutes for cake layers or until done.
- Let cupcakes cool in pans 5 min.
- Cool layers in pans 15 minutes invert.
- Melt chocolate chips in saucepan until smooth.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Beat butter and chocolate in bowl until creamy.
- Blend in sour cream, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat in confectioners sugar until smooth and spreadable.
- Tear cupcakes into pieces.
- Coarsely grind in food processor.
- Place 1 cake layer onto serving platter.
- Spread top with 1 cup frosting.
- Add second layer, spread with 1 cup frosting.
- Top with third layer, spread thin layer of frosting around sides and top of cake.
- Reserve 1 cup frosting for top.
- Frost side with remaining frosting, sprinkle with crumbs.
- Repeat until entire side is covered with crumbs.
- Frost top with reserved frosting.