Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe taken from www.portuguese-recipes.com
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Worcestershire or soy sauce
- 1 – 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg cubed beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 or 4 small hot red chile peppers, stemmed and chopped (retain the seeds)
- 6 – 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine or ½ cup brandy
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar (see note)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- bread for dunking
- Marinade the beef in a mixture of Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce) and soy sauce for between 30 – 60 minutes.
- This will ensure that even the tougher cuts of meat are tender once cooked.
- Rinse marinade off meat before browning.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon margarine and 1 tablespoon oil.
- When the margarine is melted and sizzling, add about ¼ of the beef and brown well.
- Remove the beef cubes from saucepan, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Repeat with the remainder of beef, but in three batches.
- Add 1 tablespoon margarine and 1 tablespoon oil between the batches as needed.
- Each batch should brown for about 3 minutes – 4 minutes so the juices are sealed within the cubes.
- Remove the beef cubes and reduce heat and add the onions, chile and their seeds, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion/garlic mixture and stir for about 2 minutes or until thick.
- Add the stock, red wine (or brandy) and bay leaves.
- Stir until the sauce thickens and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef cubes together with any juices that may be in the bowl.
- Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes or until beef is tender and cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with fresh bread rolls.