This is easy to prepare and takes maximum 40 minutes. It serves about 12 people.
- 9 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/2cups of Sugar
- 12 tablespoons of butter (softened)
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate egg yolks and whites, keeping whites at room temperature.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, cream Sugar and butter together until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and beat until fluffy again, 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high speed.
- In a separate bowl combine flour and baking powder.
- In a third bowl mix milk and vanilla.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk mixture to the butter mixture (a fourth at a time) until all are combined.
- Beat until smooth after each addition.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form and, using a large spatula, gently but thoroughly fold into flour-and-butter mixture.
- Grease bottom of a 9- by 13-inch metal baking pan.
- Pour in batter and bake for approximately 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool. (May also be baked in an 11.5- by 17.5-inch sheet pan for 20 minutes; this size rises very evenly, helpful for inexperienced cooks.)
- Whip cream and Sugar together until stiff.
- When cake is cool, slice or peel off the thin top crust.
- ice sides first, creating a small lip on top to catch milk mixture.
- Pour milk mixture evenly over top of cake (if necessary, poke holes in cake with a knife or toothpick to facilitate soaking; you will probably need only 3/4of mixture).
- Finish icing top.