Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Trahanas Xinos (Sour Frumenty) is a traditional Greek recipe for a classic soup of cracked wheat cooked in water flavoured with olive oil and passata that's served topped with butter and cheese.
- Source: Celtnet
- 100 g frumenty (cracked wheat or bulgur wheat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 l water
- 250 ml passata (tomato juice)
- 4 tsp (heaped) butter
- 8 tbsp grated cheese (or crumbled feta cheese)
- Combine the olive oil and water in a pan.
- Bring to a boil then stir-in the wheat and tomato juice.
- Continue cooking for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the wheat has softened and broken up into the liquid.
- Ladle into warmed soup bowls then place 1 tsp butter in the centre of each bowl and sprinkle 2 tbsp of the cheese on top.
- Serve hot.