- 3 or 4 green plantains, peeled and cut at a slant, so that a medium-sized plantain yields around six pieces
- ground pepper
- ground oregano)
- Fry in a deep pan over medium to medium-high heat until the pieces begin to turn crisp. It's best to fry a few pieces at a time.
- Remove the pieces. Set over a firm surface and press down on each piece with a hard instrument such as a roller until it becomes flattened thin and elongated. (Unless, of course, you avail yourself of a Tostonera - a gadget that will press the plantain piece into the shape of a Toston)
- Return to the frying pan and continue to fry until they look quite crisp. Remove excess frying oil by setting over paper towels.
- Use as a side dish to substitute for French fries. Warning: your diners may not want to go back to French fries in the future!Use as a side dish to substitute for French fries.