This dish of vegetables baked in an egg and cheese mixture is perfect for a spring brunch, light lunch or even dinner. The torta can be served hot or at room temperature, accompanied by a simple green salad.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- ½ pound (about ½ bunch) asparagus, woody ends snapped off and discarded, spears sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan or romano cheese
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Oil the bottom and sides of an 8-inch-square baking dish with a tablespoon of the olive oil and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add carrots and zucchini and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are fragrant and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes, until asparagus is starting to become tender.
- Transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs with garlic, cheese and bread crumbs.
- Whisk in salt, pepper and parsley.
- Pour egg mixture over the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until firm.
Nutritional information Edit
- (About 6.5oz/185g-wt.): 280 calories (170 from fat) | 19g total fat | 5g saturated fat | 14g protein | 17g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar) | 225mg cholesterol | 480mg sodium