Makes 1 cake
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (or more)
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 orange; rind grated and juice
- 1 lemon; rind grated and juice
- 3 tbsp grated dry bread
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp maraschino liqueur
- 2 tbsp rum
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- Grind the nuts with a special grinder until them become as flour.
- You will have to have a special grinder for this.
- Beat 8 yolks and 4 whites of eggs with sugar for about ½ hour, on speed 8.
- While the eggs are beating, prepare the following ingredients.
- Grate the bread.
- Prepare the rind and juice from the orange and the lemon; add flavoring and allspice to the rind and juice, keeping bread separate.
- When the egg yolks are ready, beat 4 egg whites, which you have reserved, until stiff.
- Now fold into the egg yolks all the ingredients, alternating them.
- Do this very gently, so that you do not beat the air out.
- Grease a 14 x 10 inch pan heavily and flour it well.
- Bake at 325°F for about 1 hour.
- Be sure to preheat your oven to the correct temperature before baking the torta.
- When torta is baked, cool for 10 to 15 minutes and turn out on dish.
- Either frost the cake or use powdered sugar on top as desired. Serve.