Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- 6 large tomatoes (3 lb)
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons lentils (preferably French green lentils)
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup bulgur (preferably coarse)
- 1 lb spinach, stems discarded and leaves thinly sliced (4 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup golden currants
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cut off and discard top third of tomatoes and scoop out insides (leave shells intact for stuffing), transferring to a sieve set over a bowl to drain excess liquid.
- Coarsely chop tomato from sieve and reserve for making braised eggplant.
- Sprinkle insides of tomato shells with ½ teaspoon salt and drain upside down on a rack set in a pan while preparing filling.
- Simmer lentils in ½ cup water in a small saucepan until just tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Drain in a sieve, then rinse under cold water and drain well.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat until hot, then cook pine nuts, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Cook onion In oil remaining in pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally Until softened but not browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add bulgur, chard, remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, until greens are Wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining cup water, then remove from heat and let stand, covered, until bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in pine nuts, currants, parsley, dill, lemon juice, Lentils, and salt And pepper to taste.
- Spoon filling into tomato shells.