Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Tomato and Rice Soup with Scallops from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, taken from government resource in the public domain
- Serves: 6
- 3.5 lbs ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and shredded
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons long grain rice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb fresh scallops
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat butter in a large saucepan and add onions, celery, and carrots with 1 cup of the chicken stock.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and all of the stock except reserve a ½ cup of the stock and set aside.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for an additional 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When tomatoes are soft, purée soup in a food processor and return to saucepan.
- Add cilantro, green onions, and rice.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until rice is cooked through or "al dente".
- In a small saucepan, add scallops, wine, bay leaf and reserved chicken stock and bring to a rapid simmer on medium high heat then turn heat to low and cook until scallops are tender and cooked through.
- Remove bay leaf and pour scallop mixture into tomato and rice soup mixture and serve.