- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crashed
- 400 g (14 oz) can pimientos, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 230 g (8 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 600 ml (1 pint) chicken stock, salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives Croutons
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Melt half the butter in a pan. Add the Onion and 1 garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the pimientos and tomatoes, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine, cook for 5 minutes, then add the stock and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pan, season and heat through.
- To make the crotons, cut the bread into small cubes. Heat the remaining butter and the oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread cubes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Transfer the soup to individual bowls and garnish with the chives and crotons to serve.