Peanuts, known as groundnuts in Africa, are protein-rich and excellent for vegetarian dishes. Despite their name, they are really beans or legumes. They grew originally in South America but are now widely cultivated as a food and also as a cash crop in West Africa. peanuts have more or less displaced the African equivalent, the Bambara groundnut.
"This tomato and groundnut (peanut) relish is found in Zambia and Malawi and often has beans and other vegetables added to it. peanuts / groundnuts are commonly put into relishes when no meat is available." — Irene Wilkie, Edinburgh, UK.
- Serves 4
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ pound / 225 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup / 125 g peanuts, ground
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- First heat the oil and then sauté the onion until it is soft.
- Now put in the tomatoes and cook them until they begin to break down.
- At this point, add the ground peanuts and stir until everything blends well.
- Sprinkle on the chilli powder, pour in the soy sauce, and season.
- Continue to cook, adding some water if necessary to make the consistency you prefer, and then serve with nshima or rice.