Makes 4 servings.
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- salt and ground black pepper
- Cook tomatoes in 1 tablespoon butter in large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Remove tomatoes; set aside.
- Cook onion in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until soft.
- Add rice; stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until absorbed.
- Increase heat to medium high; stir in 1 cup broth.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and water, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency.
- It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in mozzarella cheese, Swiss cheese, and Parmesan cheese, milk and reserved tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.