Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Savory, thick, and satisfying. Perfect for lunch when served with a tossed greens salad.
- 5 slices Italian bread, crusts removed and cut into 1 (½" thick slices)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 16 plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and cut into ½ (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups beef stock or beef broth
- 12 leaves fresh basil, torn into 1 (leaves)
- ½ cup gorgonzola, crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees, place bread cubes on baking sheet and toast until edges are lightly brown, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a 5 quart pot over medium heat, add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and continue to cook, stirring, for an additional 5 minutes or until the garlic becomes golden.
- Add pepperoncini, tomatoes, beef stock and toasted bread and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add basil and cook, covered, 30 – 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with olive oil, garnish with crumbled gorgonzola.