Savory, thick, and satisfying. Perfect for lunch when served with a tossed greens salad.
- 5 slices Italian bread, crusts removed and cut into 1 (½" thick slices)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 16 plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and cut into ½ (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups beef stock or beef broth
- 12 leaves fresh basil, torn into 1 (leaves)
- ½ cup gorgonzola, crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees, place bread cubes on baking sheet and toast until edges are lightly brown, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a 5 quart pot over medium heat, add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and continue to cook, stirring, for an additional 5 minutes or until the garlic becomes golden.
- Add pepperoncini, tomatoes, beef stock and toasted bread and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add basil and cook, covered, 30 – 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with olive oil, garnish with crumbled gorgonzola.