Soup, Tomato, Condensed, Canned by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground allspice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1 can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- ½ cup margarine or butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour 13” x 9” baking pan.
- In large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and spice.
- Add soup, margarine, eggs, and water.
- With mixer at low speed, beat until well mixed, constantly scraping side and bottom of bowl.
- At high speed, beat 4 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting.