Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
You can eyeball the basil, chives and green onions, putting in less chives or more onions depending on who will eat the pie. In other words, it is not crucial to follow the exact directions for this recipe. Make it according to your taste.
- 2 cooked and cooled pie shells
- 4 to 5 tomatoes, peeled
- ¼ cup green onions, diced
- ¼ cup chives, diced
- 6 to 8 leaves or one bunch of chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions. Let pie crust cool completely.
- Peel and slice tomatoes.
- Layer tomatoes in pie crust.
- Drizzle with small amount of olive oil (optional). Sprinkle tomatoes with salt & pepper.
- Then top tomatoes with basil, chives and onions.
- Mix together cheese and mayonnaise.
- Spread mixture over top and bake pie at 350 – 400°F for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and pie has heated completely through.