This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Poe Estate in Justin, Texas in 1987.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 3 pounds tomatoes peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small grated onion
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Fry spices except cinnamon in the olive and sesame oil.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer with no lid for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and onions and cook 30 minutes to reduce then add cinnamon.
- When a spoon scraped across the pan leaves a path it is thick enough.
- Stir in honey and a remaining olive oil heating a bit to thicken again.