- 6 – 10 marinated herring fillets
- ½ dl water
- ½ dl good vinegar
- ½ dl sugar
- 1 dl tomato purée
- ½ dl tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced, fresh ginger
- 1 tespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- black pepper from a grinder
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Minced onion for garnish (preferably red and "ordinary" onion mixed together).
- Heat the water, vinegar and sugar together until the sugar is well dissolved.
- Add the tomato purée and ketchup, also the chopped ginger and garlic.
- Season with cumin and black pepper from the grinder. Chill well.
- Cut the Herring into approximately 2 cm pieces and mix in.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle the onion and capers tastefully over.