- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Freezing: recommended for up to 3 months
- 4 oz potato, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1½ lbs ripe tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- juice of ½ medium-size orange
- ¾ pint vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- thin strips of blanched orange rind, to garnish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, potato, garlic, celery and carrot.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 – 3 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato purée, orange juice, vegetable stock and basil.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, pass the soup through a sieve to extract skins and pips.
- Check the seasoning before reheating gently, serve garnished with the blanched orange rind.
Cook's note Edit
To blanch the orange rind, cover thin strips of peel with boiling water. Leave for 2 minutes and then drain through a sieve. The same can be done with other citrus fruits such as lemons, limes or grapefruit.