Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella Cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, and salt and black pepper. Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place in bowl of cold water. One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side. Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and 1 teaspoon oregano. Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu. Top with shredded mozzarella and 3 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.