- 12 jumbo pasta shells
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 8 ounces tofu
- ½ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- half of a 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- Cook pasta shells according to package directions. Drain.
- Rinse with cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook carrot and green onion in a small amount of water until tender. Drain.
- For filling, in a medium mixing bowl, mash tofu with a fork.
- Stir in the carrot-onion mixture, ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, ¼ cup of the mozzarella, the egg white and ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- For sauce, in a saucepan, combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and fennel seed.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stuff each shell with about 1 rounded tablespoon of filling.
- Place shells in an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Pour sauce over shells, top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, covered, in a 350°F oven for 25 minutes or until hot.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving: 316 calories (36 percent from fat)