- 3 cups water
- 6 tbsp toenjang, or to taste
- 1 kelp strip, about 1 inch by 6 inches long, optional
- ¼ lb pyogo or shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 lb medium-medium-firm bean curd, sliced into 1x1½x¼-inch pieces
- 1 lb napa cabbage, cut into 1x1½-inch-long pieces
- 1 lb sweet Korean radish or Japanese daikon, peeled and sliced into 1x1¼x¼-inch pieces
- ½ lb summer squash, or hobak, sliced into 1x1½x¼-inch pieces
- 2 large Korean green onions or 4 scallions, white and pale green parts only, cut diagonally into ¼-inch-long pieces
- 1 hot green Korean pepper or jalapeño, seeded, deribbed and cut diagonally into ¼-inch-long pieces
- 1 hot red Korean pepper or ½ red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and cut diagonally into ¼-inch-long pieces
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Pour water in large deep skillet with domed cover.
- Add toenjang, and stir to dissolve.
- Add kelp, if using, mushrooms and garlic.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Place bean curd, cabbage, radish and squash in skillet in pinwheel pattern.
- Cover, bring to a boil and cook about 10 minutes.
- Place green onions and peppers evenly between other ingredients, and cover again.
- Cook for several seconds, or until green onions and peppers become fragrant and colors turn bright.
- Cook stew no longer than 15 minutes total.
- Drizzle sesame oil over ingredients just before removing from heat.
- Serve immediately.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.